Friday, March 18, 2011

Autumn


  Autumn is here but it seems for me to be only merging itself unnoticed into the end of summer. But that change is in the air which I love so about spring and autumn. They are seasons of change and bring smells and different lights and shades which bring back memories of the past seasons.


   There were thunder clouds hanging about low over the plateau this evening when the sun went down and the light was all orange yellow like one was looking at the world though coloured glasses. It was amazing and looked something like this:

  It is late. We have all been in the lounge and all have gone of to bed except me and it's almost midnight so I shall leave you with a poem I wrote at about this time of year last year. (The moon is big and beautiful outside).

I Stopped to Watch the Shadows Dance
By Felicity Deverell
 
I stopped to watch the shadows dance 
  One silent autumn day, 
The light embraced the sighing boughs,
    Scattering golds of may. 

  The breeze was soft upon my cheeks 
   As feathers to the touch; 
It took my scarf in playful grasp 
  Unmindful of my clutch.

  And now, alive and yet so silent, 
  To earth the colours float, 
Now empty though with life so full-- 
  The sea without a boat.

  I must move on, don't trust my heart, 
  Must go before I break.
  Life is just a shadow passing--
    Reflections on a lake. 

I'll come tomorrow in the dawn; 
  I must not stay tonight. 
The sun has gone and so must I, 
  I'll come back with the light.


I'll admit myself that the last two verses, especially the second to last, sound a bit sentimental. I did not feel at all like that when I wrote the poem and I don't think I have ever had an experience where I could describe myself as not trusting my heart. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi!
    Thanks for the comment on my blog!
    Is that really your horse on your sidebar?! It's beautiful!!! What kind is it? I have an Appaloosa.
    ~Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, thanks for commenting! Yes that's my horse, Tigger. He is Quarter Horse/thoroughbred. :D

    ReplyDelete