Tuesday, November 30, 2010

A glimpse through the Glass

I wrote this when I was feeling so young and inexperienced after reading a book on collected poems from all the great writers. One poem by  Langston Hughes called 'Little Old Letter'. It was about a letter that he had received in the mail that had obviously brought bad news. It ends:
'Just a pencil and paper,
             You don't need no gun not knife
                                                                 A little old letter 
 Can take a persons's life '
I read it among the others while looking for inspiration but I found that I had no experiences to write of no great thoughts to tell, only the little old ones that others have thought a thousand times before me. I was feeling very small.

A book of poems
Lay on my desk
Until I gave my hand and read
My head told my heart it was lead

I was old; old was wise
Experience was mine
Then the lines came quickly
I read, they did not shout at me

But they robed me, these words
Of my experience
And the poem ended, like sleet
Youth came back to me bittersweet

I wrote another one soon after, with me poems come in twos or threes and all at once. :)
This is inspired by my FicSwap story which is a fairy tale.

A sheet of clear glass
Crystal-kike in clarity

Through it the eyes pass
From barren, bold austerity
To each golden rainbow coloured shape

The air appeared clean and fresh and bright
Blue rippled the water in its wake

There was no haze to dim the eye
But yet a veil lowered tween me and the dream
And the glass grew dim as from a sigh
And there you have it! Please feel free to critique, I need all the advise I can get, be merciless!! 

2 comments:

  1. Well, I am horrible at being merciless... especially when it comes to critiquing. ;)

    But, I really love the first one because I can identify it with it a lot! I am so painfully aware of my inexperience... sometimes I read things and they just destroy me for a while because they show me how little I know.

    ReplyDelete