Tuesday, November 16, 2010

I have a Violin!!!


   I have not written a new post for a while, longer than I thought. I have been busy working for my neighbour Annie with her horses and I had my 18th birthday on Monday. On Sunday we went sailing in my brothers boat and I lost my glasses overboard! Oh well, headaches for two weeks until my new ones come.
Star
But the best bit, and what is meant to be the main theme of this post, is that I got a violin for my birthday!! I have for a while thought about starting the violin, but only very recently had I decided to really play it. I was encouraged by the fiddle players in the band at the ceili we go to every month (that's Irish dancing which is similar to country dancing). I announced at the dinner table one night "I have decided I want to learn the violin!" I didn't know until my birthday, but Mum rang up Nan that very night and told her that that is what I would like for my birthday, and she went and bought one immediately, a very good one too. Nan is always encouraging her grandchildren to play instruments she taught us to play the recorder and some on the piano. So she is very glad I want to learn.
  I have tried playing it but I couldn't even get a sound out of it! But I think it is because I didn't rosin the bow properly. I have been looking at tutorials on YouTube and there are lots of helpful videos there. I will also be able to learn off Annie who my give me lessons in exchange for working with her horses. She has been playing most of her life and used to play in a band.
I am so excited! I want to begin playing at once, I shall have allot of practice to do and I am afraid my family may become slightly distracted in the next few weeks, months, years......

2 comments:

  1. Oh, how cool!! I commend you for not having the mindset of "I'm too old to learn how to play a new instrument". :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got all the rest of my life to learn! :D
    My neighbour is teaching me some and I play the piano so I can read music already.
    I'm loving it!! :)

    ReplyDelete