Monday, November 1, 2010

On Writing Poetry, Robert Frost

   "A poem is never a put-up job so to speak. It begins as a lump in the throat, a sense of wrong, a homesickness, a lovesickness. It is never a thought to begin with. It is at its best when it is a tantalizing vagueness. It finds its thought and succeeds, or doesn't find it and comes to nothing. It finds its thought or makes its thought. I suppose it finds it lying around with others not so much to its purpose in a more or less full mind. That's why it oftener comes to nothing in youth before experience has filled the mind with thoughts. It may be a big big emotion then and yet finds nothing it can embody in. It finds the thought and the thought finds the words. Let's say again: A poem particularly must not begin with thought first."-Robert Frost


   "I have never been good at revising. I always thought I made things worse by recasting and retouching. I never knew what was meant by choice of words. It was one word or none. When I saw more than one possible way of saying a thing I knew I was fumbling and turned from writing. If I ever fussed a poem into shape I hated and distrusted it afterward. The great and pleasant memories are of poems that were single strokes ( one stroke to the poem) carried through. I won't say I haven't learned with the years something of the tinker's art. I'm surprised to find sometimes how I have just missed the word. It wasn't that I was groping for my meaning. I had that clear enough and I had thought I had said the word for it. But I hadn't said within a row of apple trees of it. "-Robert Frost


    "In literature it is our business to give people the thing that will make them say, "Oh yes I know what you mean." It is never to tell them something they dont know, but something they know and hadnt thought of saying. It must be something they recognize." Frost Letter to John Barlett

 

4 comments:

  1. "I'm surprised to find sometimes how I have just missed the word. It wasn't that I was groping for my meaning. I had that clear enough and I had thought I had said the word for it. But I hadn't said within a row of apple trees of it."

    Oh goodness, yes! I know what that's like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. _"If I ever fussed a poem into shape I hated and distrusted it afterward. The great and pleasant memories are of poems that were simple strokes carried through"_
    Mercy! This is a true, true statement! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mind if I steal your quotes and use them in a post on my blog? (The inkpen authoress) These are simply too delicious to not share! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steal away! :) they are not mine after all. They are delicious arn't they!

    ReplyDelete