Sunday, October 24, 2010

Jane Austen Heroines


"Austen is not against social conventions. In fact, she’s fairly conservative. But she’s conservative in the deepest and best way."

This is from an article I have just read about how Jane Austen films underestimate her characters as she really portrays them in her books. I agree with the article, I have always found that in allot of Austen movies the heroines are portrayed as feminists and 'rebel against the oppressive circumstances and rigid social conventions in which she has been placed'. I have always thought of this as inevitable in a movie where modern trends and issues must predominate and the public must be catered to. But read this article and you may understand more of what I'm trying to say:Austen Films Underestimate Her Heroines

2 comments:

  1. Interesting article and very true! I think Jane Austen heroines are often portrayed wrongly in the films because the people making them don't fully understand where the characters are coming from. They want to modernize everything and don't grasp the true essence of how people from that era would act and think.
    Aaaaand I'm not sure if I'm making sense. Haha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry you make perfect sense and my thoughts exactly!

    ReplyDelete