Saturday, August 6, 2011

Letter One


Dear Amelia,

  I can imagine you surprise as you unfold this letter from one who has neglected you so long. Do forgive me, my life and the changes in it have taken all of my attention, but things are settling and I feel the urge to revive old friendships. Our paths have parted, our lives have taken new turnings and old friend are left to their own roads. I can hardly believe it has been all of three years since I last saw your face, so much has changed in our lives since we were young girls galloping over the moors on those wild ponies of your brothers!

  How are you and all your family, and all the dear people of Rushbrook? Who takes Rushbrook House these days? I would inquire of Papa but I do not like to trouble him with trivial enquiries. I miss the old house, perhaps we shall come home one day soon, for that place of my childhood shall always be ‘home’ to me. But it is uncertain if I shall come soon, my step-mothers health requires that we stay down here by the sea, and I do not feel it would be proper of me to ask leave to come myself, I feel I am needed here for the time.

   Do you remember the times when we used to wonder and dream of being grown women, and what the world would be like? It is strange to think I will be eighteen in a few short months, but at the same time I feel like saying ‘at last’! Two years at Miss Hoyston’s Seminary, two long years of stifling London life and now I am glad to announce, it is over! Papa and Mama (as I call her now) were abroad during the years I was in school so I hardly got to know my new mother but for short visits during holidays. We are now residing for the time in Bristol with my Uncle Thomas‘s family. He owns a chocolate factory which must be the best kind of factory! He dose good business declaring that ‘chocolate will be the making of this town!’  

   We have been here ever since I finished at Miss Hoyston’s before Christmas. Mama speaks of a visit to her mother in a month or two in the county of --- . I have never met any relatives of Mother’s yet, though I have heard the family name in town often, they seem not to want to know me. Perhaps they think her marriage to Papa beneath the family’s importance. But I shall conclude nothing until I meet ‘Grandmama’ for myself, then I shall know how things stand.

   But, I must admit, I do have a motive in renewing my correspondence with you. I wish to ask you about a certain family name. Over a week ago while I was walking home from the pump room with my cousin, Louise, I had a strange encounter with the prettiest little thing! We had been stopped just outside by some of Louise’s friends and while they chatted and giggled I stood aloof waiting for they had no interest in me and I did not care to join in with their gossip. As I stood there I felt a touch on my arm and turning I looked into a frightened but beautiful face. She was perhaps my own age, slim and petite and with large brown doe eyes which widened with apprehension at my reaction to her.

 ‘My Lady, please, forgive me, I would not accost you but for the most desperate of reasons!’  Her voice quivered as she explained somewhat nervously she had lost her party and being new to the town requested directions to the post office where she was sure she would find them. I gave them gladly and offered to go with her there myself for it did not seem right to let such a pretty delicate thing walk alone in the street. But she absolutely refused and began to walk quickly away, but not before one of the young ladies from Louise’s crowd addressed her: ‘Why my dear girl! Why where are you going off to on your own self?’ The ‘dear girl’ seemed confused, and quickly said while avoiding my gaze, ‘I…I’m not alone indeed, my party is just ahead indeed I must join them, excuse me.’ And she hurried away and disappeared in the crowd.

  Was that not strange, it aroused suspicions in my mind, but had she been any other girl, less innocent and had looked less scared I would dismiss her from my mind. But I saw her again only today, and that decided my letter to you. I saw her in the park speaking to a young man. As I walked past her she noticed me and blushed rosy and averted her eyes looking confused. Now if that blush was not for the lie she either told me or Louise’s friend the other day, what was if for? Speaking to a young man alone in the park? Her whole manner seems too modest for her actions.

  I had asked Louise’s fried who she was, she told me she was a Miss Warde who she had meet at a ball the preceding night and new hardly more about her. You must recognize the name, Amelia, were not our neighbours? Do they still live in the area? I do not like to enquire about here after her for that is sure to arouse unwonted curiosity. Please write me all you can of the family. As you can see my curiosity about people I do not know is as alive as ever!
  Give my regards to your mother; I hope she is well and active.

I am yours faithfully,

Zinnia Reid  -- ‘Bethy’
   

No comments:

Post a Comment